Why would anyone leave a good-paying job to strike out on their own and work up to 80 hours a week with an uncertain future? Sounds insane, right?
Maybe not. For me, it came down to security versus freedom. I could have played it safe selling cleaning products for a great company, but chose the freedom to be 100% me. You have that same choice.
What’s in it for You?
So why would you get into the cleaning business? Areas like finance, media, and tech surely have more allure. My response? They’re sexier, sure, but not as dependable. Dirt and grime are not going anywhere in my lifetime. But while reliable, it’s not so simple to succeed in the cleaning business. That’s why I’m dedicated to teaching and inspiring cleaning professionals, helping them to realize their dreams of better lives for both themselves and their families.
The cleaning part is relatively easy. At least compared to landing and keeping customers without resorting to the lowest prices in a market. And with a low barrier to entry, pretty much anyone can start a cleaning company, evidenced by their sheer numbers. In the U.S. alone there are over 850,000 licensed cleaning businesses. I estimate there are actually up to two million when you factor in all of the individuals who are cleaning homes with side businesses
Decades of Dedication
My life in the cleaning industry began in 1994 with a company in Vancouver BC Canada. I had a monthly salary of $700 plus a straight sales commission in a tiny territory. In the first few weeks, I learned the rigors of stripping and finishing floors. Over the first few years, I discovered the difficulty of creating differentiation and motivating buyers.
With an Unlikely Detour
But I wasn’t inspired. I wanted to make a difference in the world, to leave a mark, and that seemed doubtful through selling cleaning supplies. So I left. I opened a bookstore, starting with a meager $4,000 inventory. It wasn’t a success, but it was a valuable learning experience. I came to understand the importance of reaching out to customers rather than waiting for them to come to you.
It was a powerful realization: my actions control my destiny. This was during the early days of the internet when email and websites were just becoming common communication tools. This burgeoning connection with customers inspired me to delve into emerging technology, marketing, and the dramatically changing business landscape. It was time to head back to school.
From Higher Education to Higher Understanding
I entered a three-year program at the University of British Columbia’s Sauder School of Business. And soon saw things from a business perspective. Advanced marketing studies illustrated the importance of numbers, data, and percentages in creating competitive advantages. A big “aha moment” came with graduation and a position at the Rochester Midland Corporation. They had lots of cleaning data.
Ahead of its time, Rochester Midland had a green housekeeping program that examined the impact of work environments and cleaning on human health. They had data that studied aspects such as indoor air quality, chronic and acute illnesses, and overall employee health and safety. This tied together the technology, business, and consequences of the cleaning industry. It gave me the insight I needed to go out and make a positive change in the world.
Putting it All Into Practice
I now had a purpose. I had a mission. I had the power to help improve people’s lives and reduce negative environmental impacts. With the once-hidden costs of these impacts revealed, bottom-line profitability came into focus. I was affecting three pillars: people, planet, and profit. I understood that I could make a positive change in the world through the cleaning business and help entrepreneurs to do the same.
Now It’s Your Turn
Are you ready to take your business to the next level? You can work smarter, automate repetitive actions, focus on growing your business, and ultimately change lives. I’ve created a system that simplifies the process to steer your business in the direction you know it needs to go.
- I’ve developed a teaching system with a set of simple activities that drive growth strategies. It’s not just “what to do,” but “how to do it.”
- I can show you how to create and implement systems and processes to build an amazing business without overwhelming you with tech.
- I teach what has taken me years to learn and thousands of dollars and hours to perfect. I’m able to do this because I teach what I know.
- If you like what you’re reading and want to get started with my free online marketing resources, check out one of my eBooks. Or join the weekly webinar for a deep dive. In each session, I share three secrets to growing your business.
- Are you ready to take REAL momentum-building action steps and create a profitable cleaning business that you love?
- You started a business so that you could work to live, not live to work. Right? That’s why you left your 9-5 and the two-hour commute each day, every day in and out.
- By reading this, you’ve already proven that you’re willing to DO the work. Now you just want to make absolutely sure you’re spending your most precious resource (time) in the right way. You can feel confident that your efforts will pay off in spades.
- Are you ready to get started? Ready to get off the merry-go-round and start getting real traction?
Then it’s time to join the movement and become a #CleanFreak